29 septembre 2026

Book review: I Am That Cat by Kathleen Welton.


Publisher's description
Help Little Minds Slow Down with the Ultimate Guide to Inner Zen!
What happens when an energetic dog looks for inner Zen? It’s time to learn from the ultimate master: a wise, peaceful cat.
I Am That Cat is a cozy, rhythmic celebration of mindfulness and meditation that invites children to breathe, slow down, and find their center.
Perfect for bedtime, calm-down corners, or classroom transitions, this charming story introduces young readers to the ancient breathing mantra, So Hum—a special whisper that sounds just like a happy cat's purr!
Inside, young readers will learn how to "find their inner purr":
So... Breathe in deeply and quiet the mind.
Hum... Breathe out gently and feel the peaceful vibration.
This Book Is Perfect For:
Children ages 3–7 navigating big emotions or high energy.
Parents, yogis, and teachers looking for a gentle introduction to mindfulness.
Dog and cat lovers alike!

You can download this coloring page for children.

My review (already published on Reader's Favorite).

I Am That Cat by Kathleen Welton is a delightful picture book that gently introduces young readers to mindfulness through the everyday adventures of a lively puppy. He is easily distracted by knocks at the door, a passing squirrel, a buzzing fly, or a rolling ball… However, he longs to discover the secret behinf the cat's peaceful nature. The story is written in verse. The rhyming text is a delight to the ear. It makes the book a wonderful choice for reading aloud. Children will enjoy anticipating the puppy's inevitable distractions, while adults will appreciate the gentle rhythm that slows the pace of the reading itself. The story is magnificently illustrated by Chau Pham. I love the colors, the designs, the loveliest of cats, the adorable puppy, the dreamy and calming atmosphere! 

As a teacher, I love books that convey meaningful ideas while being entertaining. I Am That Cat by Kathleen Welton succeeds beautifully. It never tells children how they should feel or behave. Instead, it invites them to slow down alongside the puppy. It is one of those stories that begs to be read aloud. Beyond the narrative itself, it offers a quiet moment shared between an adult and a child. Reading it together is an experience in itself, one that encourages conversation, laughter, and hopefully even a few deep breaths before bedtime. Young children may delight in the playful animals and musical language, while older readers, and particularly the adults sharing the story with them, will recognize the quiet wisdom beneath its charming surface. The gentle philosophy running through the book recalls aspects of Zen traditions. I have read many wonderful picture books over the years, both as a teacher and while reading with my own children and grandchildren. I Am That Cat is among the loveliest children's books I have encountered. It is visually stunning, beautifully written, and deeply comforting.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Bonjour !
Votre commentaire sera bientôt en ligne.
Merci d'échanger avec nous !
Gabriel et Marie-Hélène.